“Being in the later part of life, when you think you don't have anything important to do, I think I may be doing the most important thing I've ever done."
- Suzann Swinney volunteer teacher at Center for English
as seen on WBIR
How can I help?
• Drivers: Many of our students do not have transportation. Public transportation takes too much time. When they work nine hours a day, have childcare responsibilities and want to attend class, they need a ride. Can you drive a carpool two days a week?
• Logistics Team: Do you have expertise in logistics? Help us to continually adapt our transportation services to meet the needs of our students.
• Nursery and childcare volunteers: We need volunteers to care for the beautiful, cuddly babies and toddlers during class time: Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from
• Teachers and especially substitute teachers: Our dedicated teachers need to take breaks from time to time, so we need volunteers to sub for one day or for one week (Mondays and Wednesdays, 9:30-11:30 a.m.)
• Special Events Organizers: We need help organizing events such as our student Holiday party and summer picnic for all our students and their families,
• Citizenship tutors: After our students have been here for five years, they want to become citizens. The material they must cover is extensive and complicated. Many Americans who have lived here all their lives would have difficulty passing the citizenship test, so our students need weeks and months of study to be able to pass the test.
• Fundraising: Are you a member of a small group at your church or any community organization? Does your group contribute to local charities? Please think about any connections you have in your life that could help us with our mission. We can provide a presentation or materials to present to your group.
• Administrative Support: Are you more comfortable in the office than in a classroom? We need on site administrative help with data entry, filing, copying/printing, organizing donations, assisting with technology issues, assisting with snack cart and air purifiers, troubleshooting, reporting/recording, and assisting with new student enrollments